- Helen of Troy: From Homer to Hollywood (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009)
- Shakespeares Names (Oxford: Oxford University Press, October 2007)
- How to Do Things with Shakespeare (Oxford: Blackwell, June 2007)
- Where Theres a Will, Theres a Way; or, All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Shakespeare (New York: Penguin, 2006; London: Nicholas Brealey, 2007)
- Studying Shakespeare: A Guide to the Plays (Oxford: Blackwell, September 2003; reprinted January 2004, March 2004). [242pp]
- Textual Formations and Reformations, co-edited with Thomas L. Berger (Newark, DE: University of Delaware Press, 1998) [301pp].
- Shakespearean Suspect Texts: the "Bad Quartos" and their Contexts (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996) [427pp +xvii]. Paperback, 2006.
Translation (with Michael Johnson)
Les Palmes de Monsieur Schutz by Jean-Noël Fenwick (a play about Marie Curie, winner of six Molière awards in Paris in 1990).